top of page


Serving Homewood, Alabama and surrounding areas


If you are an immigrant trapped in an abusive marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or are the child of an immigrant trapped in such a marriage, or if you are the parent of an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, there may be hope for you to gain legal status without the help of your spouse or child.  Because Special Immigrant Status can be complex, it is important that you retain an experienced immigration attorney to help you navigate this process.  The Stringer Law Firm, LLC has successfully petitioned USCIS for spouses of U.S. citizens, both men and women, to help them gain lawful permanent residency and escape the dangers of staying with an abusive partner.  



Most lawful permanent residents are able to apply for naturalization after 5 years (or 3 years, if the immigrant obtains residency as the spouse of a current U.S. citizen).  However, that does not mean that they should apply immediately.  Many things need to be considered before applying for naturalization, including, among other things, criminal history, tax payments, and child support payments.  Do not let one of these requirements slip past you when applying to become a citizen of the United States!  You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney in order to ensure that everything goes smoothly in your application.

And while naturalization is the main method people born outside of the United States obtain citizenship, there are different processes for children who are born to or adopted by U.S. citizen parents.  In order to obtain the immigration and citizenship benefits of being born to or adopted by U.S. citizen parents, it is important to comply with any time restrictions that may be imposed.  


At The Stringer Law Firm, LLC, we recognize that family is one of the most important parts of a person's life. As an immigrant, you may currently be separated from your family if they reside outside of the United States. To be granted family-based residency, you may require one of two basic immigration visas: immediate relative or family preference. Relative visas may take years to obtain, but the first step is contacting an immigration attorney who can help. The Stringer Law Firm is the immigration law firm who can help you throughout the adjustment of status or consular process so your family gets here safely.



Immediate family visas are based on close family relationships to a current U.S. citizen. This group can include the citizen's spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21, an orphan adopted abroad, a foreign-born orphan that will be adopt by a U.S. citizen, or the parent of an adult U.S. citizen who is over the age of 21.


Family preference visas are divided into four categories (F1-F4):


  • F1: Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens

  • F2: Spouses, minor children, and unmarried children over 21 years old of lawful permanent residents

  • F3: Married children of U.S. citizens, their spouses, and minor children.

  • F4: Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and minor children



If you are an immigrant seeking asylum in the United States, your first move should be to contact an immigration attorney who comprehensively understands asylum requirements. You may seek asylum due to being a victim of religious, political, racial, or social persecution. As an experienced and passionate immigration lawyer, The Stringer Law Firm will take assertive action to get your asylum status in place.

Once you have been granted U.S. asylum, you can petition to bring your spouse and children to the United States, so they may escape persecution as well. To do this, The Stringer Law Firm will walk you through the entire asylum petition process, explaining the requirements and specific qualifiers in order for the process to be completed.

These requirements include, but are not limited to:

  • Your spouse and children must be at risk of persecution

  • Your children must be under the age of 21 years old

  • You must fill the petition within two yours of being granted your own asylum


If you have been unlawfully residing within the United States for over 180 days or have entered the United States unlawfully, and are at risk of deportation, you may also be at risk of denial of re-entry for a significant amount of time. To counteract this, you will need to apply for a legal waiver to remain in or return to the United States. The Stringer Law Firm can help you apply for your legal waiver, based on specific qualifications. You may be granted a legal waiver if:

  • You have immediate family members who would suffer because of your absence

  • You wish to get started on your next visa interview

Don't wait until it's too late - contact The Stringer Law Firm, LLC today!

*Immigration is a time-consuming process.  To help you navigate the timeline of when you can expect a response from the USCIS, click here for petition and application processing times. 

To help you know when to expect a visa to become available through consular processing, click here.  

bottom of page